Friday, October 05, 2012

MLB Playoffs Predictions

Let's not talk about the Red Sox. Onto the playoffs! One of my picks is likely to be wrong by tonight but here's how I see the playoffs shaping out.

AL Wild Card Game:
Baltimore Orioles @ Texas Rangers

The Orioles are the luckiest team in baseball. Tonight's game will answer the question of whether or not the translates to the playoffs. I'm guessing not.

NL Wild Card Game:
St. Louis Cardinals @ Atlanta Braves

I feel sorry for the Braves but the Cardinals are more experienced in the playoffs. But I wouldn't sleep on the Braves, they could easily win this game too.

1v4 AL Division Series:
New York Yankees vs Texas Rangers

The Rangers always best the Yankees in the playoffs, and I don't really think the Yanks are any better now than they were then. You could say the same for the Rangers, except I think they have better pitching.

2v3 AL Division Series:
Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

The Athletics are probably the second luckiest team in baseball, but they have the makeup to make it in the playoffs and they also remind me the most of the 2004 Red Sox. They seem to have more fun than anyone else on the field and that helps in October.

1v4 NL Division Series:
Washington Nationals vs St. Louis Cardinals

If the Nationals had Strasburg I'd pick them, but considering that they don't and that the Cardinals have more experience I am giving them the edge again.

2v3 NL Division Series:
Cincinnati Reds vs San Francisco Giants

I think the Giants edge out the Reds here with better pitching and a staff that has won it all before.

AL Championship Series:
Oakland Athletics vs Texas Rangers

Once again, I got the Athletics. The Rangers are a good team but I think the Athletics have a better mindset and better pitching than the Rangers. Not to mention the Athletics showed up in the last week when they needed to and the Rangers...not so much.

NL Championship Series:
San Francisco Giants vs St. Louis Cardinals

Two experienced squads against each other, great pitching, neither teams hitting is much to scoff at. If this happens this would be the series of the playoffs.

World Series:
Oakland Athletics vs San Francisco Giants

Surprise! I got the Athletics winning the World Series. Hell, after my preseason pick of the Red Sox it's not like I can do worse. Still I think the Athletics have fun and have a perfect match for the Giants, but I expect this to be a tough battle. A lot of 9th inning heroics.

No comments: