Sunday, February 03, 2013

My top 10 most awaited games of 2013


       2013 is set to be a huge year for games. Two new consoles are likely to come out this year, or at the very least be announced. The 3DS is hitting it's stride with releases like Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon. The Wii U is trying to get off the ground and with releases like Windwaker HD, Mario, and Mario Kart possibly coming out this year they might just be successful in that endeavor. In addition to all that Android gaming is exploding with releases like the Ouya, GameStick, Razer Edge, and, last but not least, Nvidia's Project Shield.

       So with all that in mind we're going to talk about the games of 2013, particularly the ten games that I am awaiting the most. Why ten? Because I like list. Before the top ten we'll cover my honourable mentions for the year.

       Windwaker HD - It's Zelda, and it's Windwaker, so of course it's going to be great. To top that, if the OOT remake is anything to judge by console-Zelda's with a touchscreen are the greatest thing ever. But it didn't make my top ten because, well, it's already been out before, and I like new things.

       Watchdogs - Like I said I like new things, and Watchdogs seems to be full of new concepts and ideas. It's got a nice Person of Interest vibe to it and hints of some really kick-ass multiplayer. That being said, from the E3 demo it did seem to be somewhat generic in mission structure and combat, kind of similar to the original Assassin's Creed. Perhaps that'll be sorted out before release. But for now, it sits as an honourable mention.

       Fire Emblem: Awakening - According to IGN this is a must have game for the 3DS. From what I've played of the demo, I buy it being great, but with Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon coming out this year as well, is it really that great? Still this is likely to be the best selling game in the series if you ask me, and that's a very good thing.
       Star Wars 1313 - There isn't that much known about this game other than a couple things. On most people's minds is how beautiful the game looks, even on current gen hardware. The second is that the game involves bounty hunting in Coruscant's ghetto. I love bounty hunting games and I'm hoping they use the games dark setting to great effect.
       Animal Crossing: New Leaf - This is a departure from most of my list, but I'm a big fan of games like animal crossing. This game has the potential to really capture an element the series has never had before, and that's a strong online community. I expect to play this one quite a bit over the year.

And now for my top 10...

10. Tearaway - Do you remember how awesome Little Deviants looked? All those cool uses of the Vita tied into one product, and you wondered how they were going to make it work. Then you played it and cried, it wasn't what you were expecting. Well imagine if that game was great and had a baby with Psychonauts and the baby's clothes were designed by the Paper Mario art team. Then you got Tearaway. The only game I am excited for on the Vita this year, aside from MLB 13, but it doesn't look like it'll disappoint. Hopefully Sony markets this one more than they did Gravity Rush.
9. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Sly Cooper was one of my favourite series from the PS2 era. It's one of those games that there is nothing else to compare it with, it's just an incredibly unique experience. The series allows you to experience the kind of classic golden age of film heist films in a way that's fun and with a level of challenge that never takes away from that fun. The series has finally made it's way PS3 after a long hiatus, with an interesting plot involving time travel that is sure to be interesting at the very least. Crossplay also helps push this game up the list.
8. Pikmin 3 - Another long dormant series from last generation finally gets a sequel, unfortunately this series will completely skip over the Wii, which is sad as the game deserves to get exposed to that large audience. However this game was the Wii U's big launch game and it's sure to be a great way for Nintendo to start the the year strong. For those unfamiliar the Pikmin series is very similar to the Overlord series and other minion games where you control a character who sends other characters, minions, off to complete various tasks. However in this series you're a very tiny alien fighting in a garden, kind of like Honey I Shrunk the Kids size. 
7. SimCity - This sits along with the Civilization series and Total War series is one of my favourite series of all times. Something I'll always pick up, even after it disappoints me(see: SimCity 4). This game looks like a return to form since the last two games were on shaky ground, though Societies is a guilty pleasure of mine. It combines the classic gameplay of the past with new Facebook influenced social features. However, either the designers or producers have decided to make this a requirement, prompting the game to always be on in order to play. This, understandably has caused a lot of backlash. I disagree with that kind of backlash because the game is designed to be online, you lose a lot of the mechanics if the game was offline, and as such I think it's actually a secretive MMO. My only wish was that the title was SimCity Online to reflect this.
6. Pokemon X and Y - I'm really excited for this game. Pokemon Black and White were my favourite in the series since Pokemon Gold and Silver came out. Only one I actually beat since Gold, as a matter of fact. It's great to see the series finally in 3D and I can't wait to see what the designers do with it. My biggest hope is that there will finally be a game where you can capture all of the starters! But I doubt that'll happen, here's to hoping. Still, Pokemon Black/White looked like a return to form and I think, since this game probably takes place on the same continent as Pokemon Black/White that it'll keep with the limited list of Pokemon to start with.
5. Grand Theft Auto V - I swear when making this list that I didn't try to make this game number five on my list, it just fit there. In other years it'd likely be a one, or a two, but this year is just loaded and so it slips down to my number five. I'm a bit aprehensive about the three character thing, it could be great for multiplayer, but I fear it may be confusing in single-player. Still Rockstar Games is one of those teams that could pull something like this off, and I'm excited to see how they do it. I was disappointed upon hearing that it'll be back in San Andreas, I want them to do something in Boston or possibly London or Moscow. It's not cause San Andreas is bad persay, but more that the grid driving is boring, and most of San Andreas is flat long roads, but we'll see.
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Luigi's Mansion is everything that the Ghostbusters game, while still good, could've been. The first game unfortunately got muddled up in the animosity towards the lack of a true blue Mario game on the console, which is a shame since it's actually better than a lot of Mario games. The first trailer is what got me to purchase a 3DS in 2011 so I am hoping that my confidence in the series will be rewarded. Expending the adventure into multiple environments, including a multiplayer element that looks like tons of fun and likely a major time sync for me coming in.
3. Total War: Rome II - I mentioned earlier my love for the Total War series when talking about SimCity. My two favourite Total War games are Rome: Total War and Total War: Shogun 2 and from everything I've heard this game combines elements of both of those games. The new movement and troop management systems along with the new amphibious invasions and naval battles should make for great additions to one of my favourite time periods for warfare. The battles between Rome and Carthage look to be even more epic in this title so hopefully all will be rewarded. 
2. Bioshock: Infinite - It actually physically hurt to put this at number two for the year, it's been my most anticipated game for a while, and I think Bioshock might be the closest to a Citizen Kane that our industry has had. This game seems to have a lot of variety in moving around the area and with new spells and powers suited to Columbia. The story seems brilliant, with each trailer prompting me to find some popcorn while watching them. So this one will likely be one of those games that causes me to miss a lot of sleep as I race to finish it. 
1. The Last of Us - If you had told me two years ago that the same year Bioshock: Infinite was coming out that I'd be awaiting a different game more, I would've told you, "You're crazy." If you had told me that we would actually see a survival horror game that seemed to have an equal focus on horror AND survival, I would've told you, "You're crazy." That's why this game is at the top. It's something I personally would've designed and that makes me love it.

No comments: